I feel honored to be nominated for the Sunshine Blogger Award by someone I admire in the blogging world, Gemma Newbery. She’s the writer and founder of the blog Help Me, I’m Adulting. It’s a fantastic and fun blog, definitely check her out. My favorite post (so far!) is 4 Easy Ways of Finding Forgotten Money.
The Sunshine Blogging Award is an opportunity for bloggers to nominate fellow bloggers for their work. It’s also a fun way to spread positivity (and each others’ blogs)!
Rules For The Sunshine Blogger Award
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link back to their blogging site.
- List the sunshine blogger award rules and display its logo on your site
- Answer the sunshine blogger award questions given by the other person who nominated you.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers and ask them 11 new questions
- Notify the nominees about their nominations
1. How long have you been blogging for?
I started my first blog probably in 2012, though I did it as a complete amateur. Silly, satirical things, like “how to get a date”, but it was the dumbest, most goofy things because I thought those types of articles were stupid. I started the Unplug Initiative in 2014. Just a few months ago, I decided to buckle down and buy a domain name, and now have been considering how to gain more traffic. I’m excited for what’s to come 🙂
2. What or who inspires your writing?
The desire to help people. Yes, it’s fun to write. Yes, I’m glad to share it with my social media friends. But it’s not just a way to say “look at me, I’m writing!”. I genuinely want to help people with their mental health, with their productivity, with their feelings of being lost or in a rut. I know about all these things, and I don’t claim to be some guru. I just want to help inspire and encourage along the way, using my own experience, compassion, and resources.
3. If you could recommend a book to everyone, what would it be?
A Prayer for the Dying by Stewart O’Nan. It’s a psychological and philosophical thriller. A pretty interesting and unique book that will make you think long after you’ve finished it.
4. Do you have any hobbies?
Besides writing, I enjoy video games, music, and reading. That’s super generic, but it’s true! Writing takes up a lot of my time though.
5. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever had?
6. If you could visit anywhere in the world tomorrow, where would you go?
7. If you could spend the day in any decade, which one would you choose and why?
The 70s. I feel like a lot of great music happened that decade. It would be a fun time to be alive and witness that music live. Plus all the fun experimentation, under the guise of peace and love and happiness, when they were just all really high. :P8
8. Have you ever met someone famous?
A bunch of country singers. It’s not like I hung out with them or introduced myself. I “met” them all while working in retail. I checked them out at the register or made them a coffee. I’ve also worked security at a store where I saw Liam Hemsworth shopping. I didn’t interact with him whatsoever, but I was in the same area as him for awhile haha.
9. What TV shows are you into at the moment?
I finished Bojack Horseman a few weeks ago. I can’t recommend that enough. It’s such a raw, honest, shocking real and touching account of depression and addiction. It’s witty and clever, but it will break your heart and make you cry.
10. Favourite food?
Fettuccine Alfredo, macaroni and cheese, spinach and mushroom alfredo pizza
11. Would you rather fight one horse-sized duck or one hundred duck-sized horses?
Oh, wow. I think the horse-sized duck. As terrifying as that sounds, at least they don’t have as powerful of legs as a horse does. I feel like a bunch of smaller horses would still be horrible because they’d be pretty strong. Plus 100 of anything doesn’t sound like a fair fight. I’ll take my chances against one giant duck!
Questions for my nominees:
- Who is a personal hero to you?
- If you could be one animal for a day, what would you choose?
- What’s your favorite blog post that you’ve written?
- Why did you choose your blog name?
- If you and I were to hang out for a day, what would you want to do?
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
- What is an underrated song or artist that you want to call more people’s attention to?
- If you had to pick a favorite song, what would it be? If you can’t, what are a few that come to mind?
- Do you write for a living? If so, do you just make money off your blog, or do you do other writing? If not your blog, how else does writing earn you an income?
- How long have you wanted to be a writer?
- Do you play any instruments? If not, what would you love to learn how to play?
My wonderful nominees:
Britt K for Unapologetically You
Living Mentally Well
Time to Talk
Kate on Thin Ice
Brit for The Happiness Agreement
Gifted, Not Broken
Shreya Shanker for Working on That
Ruth in Revolt